A new door

As the end of the year rapidly approaches, new chapters are opening and closing for staff and students. For Beth Layer, her new chapter is retirement.

Layer taught second year Algebra and worked in VLA this year. In previous years, she has taught Algebra I and Geometry.

Layer went to Purdue University to earn a Bachelor’s degree and attended Purdue Calumet to earn her Master’s degree. She made the decision to start teaching when she was a child, because she loved playing school and teaching her friends math. Also, her Aunt Helen pushed her to pursue teaching, which her family supported.

She has taught at LPHS for 33 years and says that her decision to retire is based on the fact that her husband has been retired for over two years, and she would like to join him.

“This has been a difficult decision because you realize your whole life’s routine will change, but I think I am ready for that change,” Layer said.

After retirement, Layer plans on finishing the remodel on her house, landscaping, and taking small vacations with her husband.

“I will definitely miss my students and getting to watch them grow and finally get concepts that have frustrated them,” Layer said.

Layer will miss her students, but her students will miss her more. Layer has helped endless students and made it her goal to make math an enjoyable and easy concept. In her classroom, she has fun with her students and makes the learning environment relaxing and enjoyable.

“She did an amazing job of making sure all students understood the lessons. She made everyone feel comfortable asking questions and was not intimidating like some teachers. She’s a friend and a teacher,” Victoria Vaught, senior said.

Layer’s last piece of advice is to not take things personally, to remember the positive, and to smile.

The students and staff at LPHS can not thank Layer enough for all she has done for the school, students, and faculty. She is an amazing teacher and friend, and will be missed by many.