The boy with the smile

Patrick Tubaugh, senior, is one of the most well-known and liked students at LPHS. He is the guy who is always smiling and kind to everyone even on his worst days. Tubaugh embodies a Slicer by being an active participant in a plethora of clubs including: Student Council, Student Advisory Council, Interact Club, being the baseball manager, being Senior Class President and his favorite, Speech and Debate. Though Tubaugh is an active individual, getting around has been a challenge throughout his life.

Tubaugh experience difficulty learning to walk at age three. Because of that, his parents took him to the doctor where he was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. Although his condition has affected him physically, Tubaugh has always kept a positive outlook on life.

The disorder started off mild, only minorly affecting how Tubaugh walked, but as middle school approached and he started growing, more issues occurred. His knees started giving out forcing Tubaugh into casts and braces. He even spent some time in a wheelchair.

As the braces helped straighten his legs and Tubaugh started walking again, his strength began to return. Now, he keeps getting stronger and predicts that it will only get better if he keeps working at it.

“People think that it is a lot of negativity because things are harder, but I think that it has opened my eyes to realize that you just have to push through some things, and it has helped me understand that you don’t always know what other people are going through,” Tubaugh said.

His optimistic attitude has impacted and inspired many students and staff members at LaPorte. The entire community has grown to love him.

“He is engaged no matter what the activity is. He always tries to do his best, and I think it gets everyone else in class excited because his enthusiasm is catchy,” Mr. Walker, teacher, said.

Tubaugh’s love for baseball has inspired him to be the Slicer manager, and the team loves him. His optimism and high energy level has been very beneficial for the players.

“Patrick brings life into the dugout by keeping everyone’s head up no matter what has happened throughout the game,” Tanner Hill, senior, said.

Tubaugh plans on attending Bethel College to major in business this fall. There, he intends to continue his managing position and manage the Bethel Pilots baseball team along with pursuing  a law degree.

“I’m a people person. I love to interact with people, and I feel like business is the way to do that, and also, I just love baseball,” Tubaugh said.

Tubaugh’s smiling face and incredible personality has only made the halls of LPHS a more enjoyable place to be. He is the epitome of a Slicer, and he is the face of the senior class. Tubaugh does not let his disorder define who he is. He focuses on the beauty of life, and because of that, Tubaugh is an inspiration to people everywhere.