Softball says goodbye to three beloved seniors

The LPHS Softball team is saying farewell to Reily Galloway, pitcher; Rachel Noll, 1st and 3rd base; and Kimani Woodard, middle infield. The seniors have had successful seasons throughout their time on the field and will be missed greatly by their coaches and teammates.

“I will miss the leadership that these athletes have provided and seeing their smiling faces each day,” Mr. Lindeman, assistant coach, said.

The three seniors have all had their ups and downs in the sport, but at the end of the day, their time and experiences have made it worthwhile. Softball is more than just a sport for the seniors, the teammates they have come to know have become more like a family than anything.

Galloway announced earlier this school year that after graduation she will be playing for Western Michigan University later this fall. Her roots in the sport, however, began when she was only four years old.

Her inspiration for softball comes mostly from her father, since he was a fastpitch pitcher for a baseball team. He introduced her to the sport, and she has been playing it ever since.

“Well, now that my time here is over, I am sad that I won’t be able to play with my teammates anymore, but I wish them the best of luck and hope they have successful seasons moving forward,” Galloway said.

Galloway has made a huge impact on the team since she started pitching. Striking out  several players in a game, she is one of the key players in the team’s line up. On a more recent note, Galloway made it to the Duneland Athletic Conference Team.

Much like Galloway, Noll also has early beginnings in softball. Noll has been playing softball ever since she was six years old. Although she will not be playing softball down at Indiana University, she truly enjoyed her time playing the sport.

Initially, Noll started playing softball because her mom was signing her up for sports while she was younger. Taking a liking to the sport, she continued to play it all the way up to her senior year of high school. It is safe to say that Noll will miss the sport she has come to know and love.

“I’m going to miss everything about my teammates. From playing everyday with them, to the singing sessions on the bus with them. They’re some of my best friends, leaving them will not be easy,” Noll said.

Because of softball, Noll has learned some very important lessons in addition to the bonds she has made with her teammates. From accepting failure and bouncing back from a bad game, these hardships have made her a better player, especially the three years of varsity she has played.

Woodard also started playing softball at a young age. At the age of six, she was inspired by her mom and older sister to play, so she signed up to join a recreational softball team called KVA. From there, her love for softball blossomed.

In high school, Woodard spent a season off because she tore her ACL, but after undergoing major surgery and recovering, her setback has only made her stronger with the sport. She is truly thankful for being able to play softball one last time with teammates she enjoys spending time with.

“I’m going to miss being to bond with the girls. I have a different relationship with each girl. It made me value and appreciate my last year of high school,” Woodard said.

Woodard considers recovering from her ACL injury one of her greatest accomplishments of the team, but as a senior on the team, Woodard has been top scorer in several games, and in addition to Galloway, Woodard recently made it to the Duneland Athletic Conference Team.

As the team part their separate ways, the bonds that the seniors have made with the rest of their peers will not be forgotten.