Back to back to back wins

Girls’ tennis brought home another win at Sectionals on Thursday, May 18.

On the first day the team went up against Marquette 4-1, and won sectionals on the second day 3-2 against New Prairie, sweeping the singles matches to secure the victory.

The team played phenomenally this season. The girls were sought out by other schools as being the underdogs as five of their seven varsity players are underclassmen. The girls fought hard throughout this season and ended up 12-5 with a sectional title. Thus, showing the other competitors that Slicer tennis team are very strong opponents.

“Winning back to back sectionals is an awesome feeling. It gave our team a huge boost, and I’m incredibly proud of my team and all of our accomplishments this year. Knowing that I was part of the winning sectional team makes me feel incredibly proud of myself and my team. I have never been on a team with this strong of a bond before,” Maddy Nunn, junior, said.

However, winning the sectional was not an easy task for the Slicers; they had to put forth hard work on and off the courts to achieve the common goal. New Prairie is also a strong team that put up a fight, but fell to the Slicers, once again.

“Winning sectionals is the best feeling ever. We were the underdogs this year having four of our seven players with very limited varsity experience. The players stepped up big time and delivered LaPorte their third consecutive IHSAA Sectional Championship. I was extremely proud of our team,” Don Varda, head coach, said.   

The girls traveled to Regionals and fought to the end but unfortunately fell to Penn High School. However, bring back another Sectional trophy and no longer being the underdogs has made this season one to remember.