Girls volleyball takes invitational title

The girls’ volleyball team played competitively and won the LaPorte Invitational on August 19th. After winning the LP Invite, the Slicers’ record moved to 6-0.

The team played their first match against Prairie Heights. Reilly Briggs led the Slicers in kills with seven, with Kara Cooper chipping in six and Maddy Dowty with five. They beat Prairie Heights 25-14, 25-14.

We all played well through some tough competition. Everyone brought their ‘A’ game. We don’t lose at home, so we put everything out there to win it. Positive energy and good chemistry from the team got us a good win,” Dowty, senior, said.

The second match the Slicers played was against Goshen. The team finished the game with scores of 25-9, 25-12. Briggs led the way again in kills with eight, and Olivia Voekler had six. Cheyenne Seymour added four kills.

In the semi-final match up, the Slicers won against Huntington North by scores of 25-16, 25-16. Briggs and Annalise Warnock both notched six kills, with Kara Cooper adding five and Seymour four.

It felt really good for the beginning of the season to come out with wins, and we fought hard for every game. I felt like it was a good team experience to get all the errors out before we go into the DAC, and it is a good time to work with your teammates,” Paige Loeffler, senior said.

Lastly, in the championship match, the Slicers went three games against New Prairie High School, coming up victorious and winning the whole invitational with the scores of 22-25, 25-21, 15-8. Briggs led the way with 11 kills, while Cooper and Dowty each had six. Seymour added five. Defensively, Cooper, Lexi Joyner, and Seymour each had three total blocks.

It was a great feeling, as a senior, to win the first home tournament of the season. We have a lot of strong players, and we are working to make it even better together. This is my last time playing volleyball competitively, so I’m just trying to make the most of it, having fun and being successful,” Dowty said.

On August 29th, the Slicers play Portage High School at LaPorte at 5 p.m. Come and support the girls’ volleyball team as they continue to build on a successful start to the season.