Indiana’s exchange student opportunities

Indiana high school students in foreign language classes are being given the opportunity to travel around the world.

The Indiana University Honors Program in Foreign Languages (IUHPFL) offers high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors in foreign language classes the chance to travel to other countries to gain further knowledge of the language they are studying.

Level II students in Chinese and Japanese classes, as well as level III students in French, German, and Spanish classes, are able to travel to one of eight different countries.

Students who attend the IUHPFL live with a host family for five to six weeks in the summer. The students wishing to participate must have a good academic history and must show high interest in their foreign language classes.

Participating students attend classes and explore their host country´s culture. They also have the opportunity to attend many activities including athletic competitions, theatre, and dance.

¨The program is a really great opportunity for students to improve their language abilities and gain an understanding and appreciation of the culture, all while gaining independence and creating relationships,¨ Frau Defauw, LPHS German teacher, said.

IUHPFL helps students advance their language skills and looks great when applying to colleges.

Any student wishing to attend IUHPFL is required to commit to the program´s Honor Code. By making the commitment, students agree to only speak the language of the country they are visiting. They are allowed one hour of internet per week and are given one phone call when they arrive.

Though prices can get high, students are given the chance to qualify for financial aids through the program itself. Many students in the past have completed fundraisers and found scholarships to help pay any fees.

IUHPFL offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to Indiana´s high school students. For more information on the program, please visit iuhonorsprogram.org or speak one of LPHS´s foreign language teachers.