Former Slicer dominates the court

Bayli Lebo, former La Porte High School volleyball star, has excelled in her first two tournaments at Indiana University. The team is heading in the weekend 6-0, and Lebo has already made an All-Tournament team.

Lebo has played volleyball ever since she was five years old, raking in a slew of awards during that time. From individual to team awards, Lebo left La Porte as one of the best players in the school’s history.

“Some of my major achievements was being named an Under Armour All-American, getting fifth at Nationals in 2016, and making it to Semi-State my senior year,” Lebo said.

Taylor Lebo, Bayli’s sister and former Slicer standout, played volleyball for the Hoosiers and just graduated from IU, and Bayli wants to follow in her footsteps. Both Lebos pull in support from family and the girls fighting on the court with them.

“My biggest inspiration is my family and my teammates. I’ve always wanted to make them proud, and be the best that I can be,” Lebo said.

The transition from high school to college is a difficult one; however, Lebo seemed to fit right into place. She made her way down to IU immediately following her LPHS graduation and has been on campus taking classes and working with her team ever since.

“Yes, I enjoy college more than high school, but I miss a lot of aspects of high school like Friday Night Lights in the student section and just being a part of the La Porte family,” Lebo said.

Lebo played in her first IU volleyball tournament game two weekends ago. Many former La Porte students came to cheer her on. After years of being the one sitting in the stands watching her sister, Lebo finally was able to be on the court competing.

“I was beyond excited for the first tourney this last weekend. I’ve waited for that moment for years, and it finally came surreal. It feels great to be a Hoosier!” Lebo said.

Lebo continues her journey in the place she now calls home, hoping to find another place to etch her name as one of the volleyball greats.