LPCSC receives Lilly Endowment Grant

La Porte High School has recently received a grant for $660,000 for a counseling initiative from the Lilly Endowment.

The LPCSC school counselors were involved in the Lilly Endowment process. The counselors also had consultants from Purdue University, University of Indianapolis’s CELL program, and American Student Achievement Institute.

“Winning the Lilly Endowment’s Comprehensive Counseling Implementation Grant still seems so surreal. I am excited and thankful for the future opportunities that our LPCSC students and the LaPorte community will be offered because of the grant,” Heather Brant, LPHS counselor, said.

It was a rigorous two-part process that called for countless hours of planning and meetings. The first step was Planning Grant, which had to be sent in December of 2016. This initial plan was more of a big picture plan of where LPCSC wanted to go.

“We will be releasing detailed information soon upon recipient of our contract. However, our basic premise is that we will be doing a Pre K-12 counseling programming alignment in the district looking at the domains of academics, career, and social emotional learning. We will be using survey data from students, parents, community and business members to improve counseling services district wide,” Jennifer Hunt, Director of Guidance and Individualized Learning, said.

School corporations that were selected then had to move on to the most intensive part of the process, which was the Implementation Plan. This phase was the detailed plan and process of implementation. This part had to be turned in by mid-May of this year.

“The moment we found out LPCSC was one of the fifty two districts to win the Lilly Implementation Grant, the tears came flowing down. To say I was excited is an understatement. The amount of hard work, long hours, and research that went into planning the grant, at times, seemed relentless. However, the reward has been greater than ever imagined. The opportunities provided to us with this grant are tremendous. I am thrilled that I am a part if this community, and I am looking forward to watching us grow,” Caryn Schmidt, counselor, said.

The Lilly Endowment awarded over $26 million statewide. Michigan City schools also received money for its own initiative. All schools chosen can be found at http://www.lillyendowment.org/pdf/COUNSELING2017.pdf.