Work Ethic at LPHS

Work Ethic is a program available to all high school students. It helps prepare them for the work force by showing good work ethic in attendance, grades, class behavior, and community service.

Work Ethic helps your future with putting it on your resume for jobs and to put on college applications. According to the IN.gov, the employability skills recognized in the Work Ethic Certificate have been vetted by Hoosier employers, community based organizations and postsecondary education institutions and are designed to encourage students to meet the benchmarks that will assist them in their college or career goals.

Students who choose to complete community service hours rather than take part in an internship have many local opportunities. There are many great places that always need volunteers. The LaPorte County Animal Shelter and LaPorte Hospital are two great examples, but the hours do not have to only go to larger organizations. To get hours students could simply help a teacher, pick up garbage on the side of the road, or visit a nursing home to talk to the residents.

For the career readiness section of the form, students only have to pick one section to do. Students also have to have three teachers and a coach or administrator grade them. If students get zero points on any part of the form, then they will not be eligible for the certificate

The Student Evaluation and Career Readiness and Workplace Credential forms and Community Service documentation or internship documents need to be submitted by Friday, March 30. The forms must be returned to the Student Services Center.

Work Ethic is a great program to be involved in. The intent to participate sheet was due on September 30th. If students did not sign up, it is good to do in the following years. A person’s work ethic tells a great deal about them. It would be easily shown by participating in this program.