Girls cross country finishes 19th at State

The LaPorte High School girls’ cross country team finished off the season at State Finals in Terre Haute on Saturday.

This was marked the fifth straight year that LPHS was represented at State. They finished the season in 19th place and scored 438 points. It was a sweet way to end a strong season.

“We finished about where we expected. Had Shelby Riehle been healthy, I think we would have finished around 14th. Katerina Shuble and Jenny Noll became the 3rd and 4th female runners in LaPorte history to ever run in the State Finals four times, and they made the most of it with their best times ever.  Rachel Gerick gave us another solid performance and Nikki Parsons ran her 2nd best time of the season. It is a difficult course and freshman Ariana Steele gained valuable experience. Izzi Applegarth gave it her best as well.” Dearing said.

The top four runners from LaPorte were Shuble (19:12), Noll (19:19), Shelby Riehle (19:39), and Rachel Gerick (20:13). This season was one of many different runners leading at one time or another, and that is a mark of this team. They are supportive of each other, which leads to greater team success.

“This team’s best quality is how well they get along with each other. They genuinely care about each other and enjoy their time together. They revel in each other’s success. That makes training fun and much more productive,” Coach, Mr. Dearing, said.

The team will say good bye to six seniors, who have all been instrumental to the rise of the girls’ program. The bond they created will last a lifetime.

“The thing I will miss the most about cross country is by far my teammates. They are all like sisters to me, and I’m really going to miss having them around every day. If I was having a bad day they could make it good, and they definitely made the good days great. We all bonded over having the same kind of pain, and I guess that makes us inseparable,” Isabella Applegarth said.

Cross country may be over, but many of these runners now have their gaze fixed on track season, which should be another great success.