Crichfield and Riley participate in Socktober

Crichfield and Riley Elementary spent October collecting socks as a part of the Socktober movement, donating them to county centers and shelters.

Socktober started about seven years ago after Kid President and creator Brad Montague challenged kids around the country to make a difference in the lives of others who are less fortunate by doing something as simple as collecting socks. Crichfield and Riley students took up that challenge.

“Each night in the United States, an estimated 600,000 people live on the streets. By donating new socks and helping keep people warm, our students learn that they can make a big difference in our community,” Mrs. Biggs, Crichfield principal, said.  

The response from the students and staff was impressive. Riley donated their socks to the PAX Center in LaPorte. Local pastor Nate Loucks, a vital cog at the center, picked up the socks to take back.

“Our goal was to fill three tubs full of socks, and we met our goal.  When students brought in a pair of socks, they could then sign a sock on our Socktober bulletin board. We had over 80 signatures. Our sock drive lasted the whole month of October,” Mrs. Hardwicke, 2nd grade teacher and Student Council sponsor, said.

Crichfield watched as the boxes in the entrance of the school quickly filled up during the month. The Cougars collected 1,200 pairs and donated their socks to two shelters in Michigan City: Sand Castle Shelter for Families & Stepping Stone Shelter for Women. Sand Castle Executive Director Candice Silvas stopped by the K-Kids’ meeting on Wednesday to pick up the collection.

“The Crichfield K Kids group joins once a month after school to discuss leadership and community involvement. The students wanted to kick off their meetings with a Socktober drive to support the need for warm socks during the upcoming colder months and provide local shelters with the needed items,” Biggs said.

For these two school and many of the others in LPCSC, service learning in deeply ingrained in the school culture. For Crichfield, they participated in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF and have been closely involved with the devastation from Hurricane Harvey.

“This year we have also adopted Post Elementary School in Texas.  We collected school supplies for them at the start of the school year, and the PTA will be sponsoring a Penny War in the upcoming months to continue to help them following the devastation from the hurricane,” Biggs said.   

The same can be said for Riley. The Student Council and student body are active in the community.  

“Riley Student Council tries to be very involved within our community and school.  We take part in an annual Salvation Army food drive. We do fundraisers to purchase hats and gloves for the Salvation Army. Our students volunteer to ring bells for Salvation Army. As part of the Kindness Campaign, we have baked cookies and delivered them to our local bus drivers, police, firefighters, and emergency responders. We are always in search of more ways to become involved and help our community,” Hardwicke said.

October and Socktober may be over, but be on the lookout for the big hearts of our local students and staff leading the charge in helping others.