LPHS Swim team splashes into a new season

Winter sports are now in full swing, and one of the most highly anticipated sports is swimming. The boys’ swim team has definitely swam their way up to the top in the matter of two meets.

The first meet was against New Prairie on November 26th. All of the boys did their best, but ultimately lost to New Prairie 92-93. One of the more notable races was the 200 Medley Relay, swam by Justin Dusza, Graham Siefker, Isaac Temores, and Jacob Cooper. Other great races include Temores in the 200 Individual Medley, Cooper in the 50 and 100 free, Dusza in the 100 Fly and 100 back, Chris Cook in the 50 and 100 free, and Carson Nowatzke in the 100 breast.

“I’m surprised with Graham Siefker, a freshman swimmer because he’s got such poise for being a freshman. He already knows what he’s doing and how to get stuff down,” Temores, senior, said.

The second meet was against Michigan City on November 29th. The boys improved from the last meet, achieving first place in seven different races: 200 Medley Relay, Cooper won the 50 and 100 free, Temores won the 200 IM and 100 Breast, and Dusza won the 100 back and the 100 Fly.

The boys came in first place in the meet overall, beating Michigan City 95-83.

So far, the boys have had an extremely successful season. The seniors on the team are determined this year to claim a State title before they prepare to compete in college come next school year.

“For me, I know this is my last high school year, and since I’m moving onto college, it’s emotional, but not as bad as I thought it’d be since I have another step to take. Before I go, I want to bring home a state ring. I got close last year, and I would like to bring to glory back to La Porte,” Cooper, senior and Green Bay bound swimmer, said.

LPHS wishes all of the swimmers good luck as their season continues.