Conspiracy Theories class returns

LaPorte High School students will again be given the opportunity to join a class revolving solely around conspiracy theories.

Mr. Demass, history teacher, will bring back the popular Conspiracy Theories class to students at LPHS during the 2018-19 school year. After a year without the class, students are excited for its return.

“I have taught this class one other time during the 2016-17 school year. I was inspired to create this class because of my interest in the subjects but also to engage students in critical thinking and debate,” Demass said.

While the class is fun and creates conversation between the students, it does require a great amount of work. Being a United States Conspiracy Theories class, students will be able to explore a wide variety of topics.

“This class spurs a ton of discussion and debate. It also requires students to do extensive research and then share their feelings,” DeMass said.    

While there are some guidelines, the class is designed to allow students to decide which topics they discuss and debate. Students are excited for the class to return, and they are anxiously awaiting their time to express their thoughts.

“I think that the turnout will be even better than last year. It will be a really popular class because of its popular content and casual vibe. The Conspiracy Theories class is a great addition to our school because it challenges students to question and think for themselves. It also gives them the opportunity to open their minds to ideas other students present,” Sarah McGuire, senior and former Conspiracy Theories student, said.

Though the class was only offered for one trimester during the 2016-17 school year, students planning to take the class next year will have the benefit of semesters. Rather than only having the class for one third of the school year, students have the opportunity to take the class for half of the 2018-19 school year, giving them more time to explore their ideas.

Students can now visit any social studies teacher for an application for the Conspiracy Theory class. Students are signing up quickly, so applications need to be turned in as soon as possible.