Ott nets 1,000th point

Riley Ott, junior, recently reached the 1,000 point mark of her high school basketball career.

After playing basketball for 12 years and being a starter on the LPHS varsity basketball team for three, Ott has already reached an incredible mark in her high school career. During a recent basketball game against Merrillville High School, Ott became one of only four female LPHS basketball players to score 1,000 points.

“It feels exciting to be one of a few who have reached it. It’s a great accomplishment to have scored 1,000 points, and scoring that 1,000th point was a feeling of amazement and shock. I had wanted to score 1,000 points within my high school career, but I never thought it would be in my junior season!” Ott said.

Though her career scoring statistics stood below the top five before the 2017-2018 season began, Ott has made her way to second on the LPGBB career scoring list, sitting only behind Beth Lapaich (1,510 points). While Ott has climbed her way up near the top, it is not the first time she has come near setting a record; she also holds the third highest record for field goals in a single season (144) as well as the third highest single season points (447).

The 17-year-old is surely known for her incredible performance on the court, and her endless hours of practice and dedication are paying off.

“She’s self-driven, highly motivated, and a goal setter to start. She brings a motor to the game and plays extremely hard on both ends of the floor,” Rob Walker, basketball coach, said.

While Ott has a natural love for the game, her father has played a big role in motivating her to play better and harder.

“My dad always encourages me to play better by talking about my game afterwards. We talk about what I need to improve, but we also talk about what I did well. He always tells me to give 110 percent effort every game, practice, workout, and even school,” Ott said.

Her family and coaches are not the only ones who see the potential in Ott. Her teammates are also big supporters of Ott’s career and are proud of her for all that she has achieved, as well as all that she will achieve in the future.

“I really enjoy playing with Riley. She’s a great team player and she always brings me up when I’m down,” Kate Kazmierzak, teammate, said.

As the 2017-2018 season grows closer to the end, big things are expected to come from Ott.

“The sky is the limit for Riley, as for team accomplishments, Sectionals Championships and beyond, and a possible run in the State tourney. For personal goals I could see her setting all-time scoring records as well as free throw percentage records. She’s been a pleasure to coach over the last three seasons. She has high standards on and off the court,” Walker said.