LPHS Gymnastics kick off their season

La Porte High School’s gymnastic team has started its season with fresh faces and a great deal of possibility.

On December 1st, these gymnasts, coached by Emily Baker, leaped into their season with full potential on their shoulders. The LPHS team is lead by eight outstanding gymnasts, three seniors: Olivia Hubble, Arika Kasper, Maureen Troy; one junior: Jaden Conrad; three sophomores: Ally Leal, Gabby Latchford, Jessica Campbell; and one freshman: Darby Troy. These ladies have competed in five meets so far, two of which were invites. Overall, the girls did very well.

This is Leal’s first season on the team, adding much needed depth to the team.

“I decided to do gymnastics this year because growing up, I was in gymnastics for almost twelve years until I finally decided I wanted to try something other than just gymnastics as my whole life. When you do a sport that long it becomes a part of you and it really shaped me into who I am today. This year I was given the opportunity to do both cheer and gymnastics during the winter so I jumped at it. I love gymnastics and I just really missed it,” Leal said.

Gymnastics is more than jumping off of a beam or flipping off of a bar, endless amounts of time and effort are put into this sport. Because of their tremendous efforts, the girls tend to succeed, even in the ultra competitive DAC.

“I love gymnastics because it’s independent and a team sport, plus you really have to push yourself to succeed and make yourself do things that you never thought you could,” Hubble said.

At the last meet against the Portage Indians, personal records were set by Troy, Hubble, Leal, and Latchford. Troy placed fifth on the beam, Hubble placed fifth on the floor, Leal placed sixth on vault and bars and fifth all around, Kasper placed sixth all around.

“I started gymnastics my freshman year of high school, and I love the atmosphere of high school competition,” Kasper said.

These girls each have individual goals, but they have goals to meet as a team also.

There are about twelve meets all season, which means the girls are not far from the halfway mark. They continue to grow as individuals and score as a team. Make sure to cheer these girls on this Thursday at Merrillville and Saturday at the Chesterton Invite.