Girl’s track team prepares for stellar season

As the LaPorte High School 2018 track season gets closer, the girl’s team is preparing to make this one of their best.

Athletes on the LPHS team have begun workouts in preparation of the upcoming season. Many of the sprinters and jumpers have been doing speed sessions twice each week, and many lift weights twice per week. Throwers have also been lifting weights twice each week and have been doing specialized workouts a couple of times per week. Distance runners have also been preparing for the season by braving the cold and running every day that they are able to.

“It’s a little too early to tell, but I expect some great success from many girls this season!” Corbin Slater, girl’s track coach, said.

This year the girls will be going for their third consecutive Sectional win. As a team, winning Sectionals is a huge goal for the 2018 season.

“We are looking forward to having another great year of great performances! The girls are coming off of a back-to-back Sectional title victory, and we have almost everyone coming back,” Slater said.

The girls, as expected, all have their own goals they hope to reach this season, but as a whole, the team looks forward to win sectionals, stay healthy, and get as many athletes to State as possible. Many of the returners have made it down to Bloomington for State at some point in their careers including Nichole Flowers, Shelby Riehle, Kat Shuble, Lauren Anglin, Janelle O’Neal, and Riley Tuerff.

“I am most excited for postseason. I feel like during conditioning I have been improving and getting faster. Some of my goals are to PR and break my records in the 100 hurdles and 300 hurdles,” Tuerff, junior athlete, said.

As the team readies themselves to compete, they look forward to drawing many fans to the stands and are excited to show what they have been working for.

“Track starts February 12th! Come out! We have a great team with a great group of girls that work hard and have fun!” Slater said.