LaPorte Horizon Bank

It’s a rare occurrence when students can mix work and education, but students at LPHS have that opportunity with the LaPorte Horizon Bank.

Seniors Simone Battleday, Corrine Lawrence, and Natalie Burchert have been working at the LaPorte Horizon Bank all school year, along with Lisa Marshall, a Horizon bank employee.

They work Monday through Friday at the bank before school and during all lunches. The students also work some Saturdays at the Horizon Bank on Lincolnway when convenient for them.

At the bank, each student handles transactions for Horizon Bank customers. They do loan payments, deposits for savings and checking accounts, withdrawals for saving and checking accounts, and various other tasks.

“Working at Horizon provides work experience with cash handling and customer interactions. It is beneficial because it allows me to receive on the job work experience and how to exude a professional image,” Lawrence said.

Creating a account through the school is advantageous for many reasons. A student can make an account with Horizon to have their paychecks directly deposited into their accounts and to have a learning experience of how banking works.

“Students can learn financial responsibility at a young age and help them save for their future. A banking incentive we offer at the Slicer Branch is to open a new checking account and once they make three transactions, they will qualify for a $20 gift card from Horizon Bank,” Battleday said.

Having the opportunity to be a part an internship at the bank gives them work experience and allows them to meet new people.

“My favorite thing about working at Horizon Bank is getting to know and interact with the students and customers. I also love getting to work alongside Natalie, Corrine, and Lisa Marshall. Also being able to learn new concepts and banking procedures everyday,” Battleday, said.

If a student is highly interested in an internship for their senior year, they can apply for an internship with Horizon bank in the counselor’s office. The counselors have talked to the upcoming juniors about the applying process in the junior assembly that happened on January 30th.

“The counselors often do a pre-screening for potential candidates for the internship before notifying Horizon that there are candidates,” Lawrence, said.

This is a great experience for any Slicers who are looking to gain work experience during the day.