Swimming to Sectionals

With only a week until Sectionals, the boys swim team is hoping to end the season with a big splash. Having a great season so far, the boys should have no trouble beating their way through Sectionals.

With a total of 14 meets down already, the Slicer boys have a total of eight wins and six losses. This has been a season of start and stop, with many cancellations and postponements due to the erratic weather.

Since Sectionals are coming soon, the boys are laser focused on making sure that they are at their best.

“The season has been unusual in the fact that we’ve had so many canceled practices and rescheduled meets due to weather. With losing so much valuable training time, we’ve had to give it 110% each and every practice to compensate for that lost time. So it’s been a hectic season so far, but I’m extremely proud of how the team’s performing, from Jacob Cooper becoming DAC champion in the 100 free to Kreg Warner dropping a lot of time in the 50 free,” Isaac Temores, senior, said.

The Slicers are lucky enough to compete in the ultra-competitive Duneland Athletic Conference, which proves to push swimmers to their best every single meet.

“The pressure during a meet is unreal; you feel it in every ounce of your body. You shake with fear that you won’t do as good as your team needs you too. All that fear leaves you when the starter starts us and you feel your body cut into the water,” Jacob Cooper, senior, said.

Sectionals is such an important meet, and while each swimmer hopes to qualify for State, each has his own individual goals. Many want to beat their past records, and some want to make a new record.

“I have a couple hopes or goals for Sectionals. I’d love to make state in the two relays I’m in [200 medley & 200 free relay] and make State in the 100 breast. I’d also be extremely happy if we had some Sectional champions and got top three at Sectionals,” Temores, said.
Go watch the LPHS boys swim team compete at Sectionals on February 15th at Chesterton High School.