Wrestling Regionals

Wrestling Regionals

This last weekend, February 3, the wrestling team had their regionals. The whole varsity team line up went and wrestled individually to see who would advance to semi-state for next weekend. Five out of the 12 individuals that went had advanced to go to semi-state

The five individuals that advanced are Matt Neff, Skyler Querry, Skyler Gomez, Ian Nelson, and Kyle Simpkins.

Gomez, senior, is a fourth year wrestler for the LPHS wrestling team and placed second in his weight class at regionals.

“Hard training and staying focused all week was the key to my performance at regionals. I would say coach Brown and coach K push me the most, ¨Gomez said.

Simpkins, senior, is a third year wrestler for the LPHS wrestling team and placed first in his weight class at regionals.

“The training every day for the last week was a big key in my performance this last weekend. Coach Brown and Coach Kuzdas definitely push me to my limits and push me to where I am today,” Simpkins said.

Nelson, junior, is a third year wrestler for the LPHS wrestling team and placed fourth in his weight class at regionals.

“I went into my matches at regionals with a lot of confidence with coming out of sectionals being first. I would say John Hernandez pushes me a lot during practice,” Nelson said.

Querry, junior, is a third year wrestler for the LPHS wrestling team and placed fourth in his weight class at regionals.

“I drilled it into my head that I wasn’t going to lose so I had a lot of confidence going into my matches. I look up to Skyler Gomez just because when I think of it he did all of this last year and I want to be able to say I did the same thing,” Querry said.

Neff, sophomore, is a second year wrestler for the LPHS wrestling team and placed fourth in his weight class at regionals.

“I was really trying to impress coach. I really wanted to make it to semi-state; it was just the drive really is what kept me going in my hard matches. My coaches push me the most  because they are always riding me about going hard at practice and doing everything right,” Neff said.

On February 10, the wrestling team had their semi-state meet at East Chicago Central High School.

The individuals that wrestled at the semi-state meet this last weekend are Skyler Gomez, Kyle Simpkins, Ian Nelson, Skyler Querry, and Matt Neff.

Gomez and Simpkins are the only two to place in semi-state this weekend. Gomez placed third and Simpkins placed fourth. Allowing them to advance to state this coming weekend, February 16 and 17.