Jolie Martinez: making waves

Jolie Martinez: making waves

Tinged with sadness, Jolie Martinez ended her high school swim season on a strong note.

Her love of water started early. She lived in California for over 11 years, and she spent a great deal of her time in the ocean. In high school, however, her family moved to Indiana, forever changing her landscape but not her love of swimming.

When she enrolled at LaPorte High School, everything was different from her hometown. She knew one thing though, she wanted to join a sport. Swimming was a first sport to her, so that is what she chose.  

This year, Martinez swam the breaststroke and dropped time many times during the season. She has set many personal records for swimming and has tried many different events. Martinez even dropped time in DAC’s and at Sectionals. Her steady senior leadership and desire to improve were extremely valuable for the Slicer swim team.

“I continued to swim because I was always trying to improve myself and goals from the last season,” Martinez said.

Martinez is involved in many extracurricular activities along with swimming. She is involved in Girl Reserves, Work Ethic, Track and Field, and Hosa.

Martinez has now said goodbye to her team and coaches; she plans to continue swimming on her free time, but she is not planning on swimming competitively in college. Martinez plans to attend college for nursing.   

“It feels bittersweet. I’ll miss it but I’m excited for the next big chapter in my life,” Martinez said.

The Slicer family wishes Martinez the best of luck for her future and career. As the saying goes, “Once a Slicer, always a Slicer.”