Wrestling State finals

Seniors Skyler Gomez and Kyle Simpkins left with the wrestling coaches on Friday morning to represent LPHS at the wrestling State Finals down in Indianapolis.

Before they left there was a group of their peers and staff gathered by the front doors wishing them good luck before they left.

The wrestling coaches put together a video earlier in the week of fellow wrestlers and supporters wishing them good luck at state finals.

Gomez and Simpkins both ended their wrestling careers on Friday night, just one round shy of All-State honors. Gomez finished with over 100 career wins, two sectional titles, a 2x Al Smith tournament winner, and the senior season wins record.

“State was really cool. I’m glad I was able to do it as a senior, and even though I did not place, it was still a fun experience to go down there and wrestle. I felt like I performed well, and I ended up losing to the guy who won my weight class. It was an awesome experience to be there for the Parade of Champions and wrestle under the lights at the state finals,” Gomez said.

Simpkins was an All-conference football player, All-State football candidate, wrestling Sectional and regional champion.

“The experience was kinda hard to all take in. My performance was good. I could have done better though. My experience as a wrestler has been pretty fun,” Simpkins said.

Now that the mats are rolled up for the final time, it is safe to say that this year’s season was one to remember.