Tracking down a great season

The LaPorte High School Boys Track team is preparing for the upcoming 2018 season.

Athletes on the team have begun working out and practicing in preparation for a successful season. They have been working Monday through Thursday to build strength and speed.

“They work on weight training two days a week with Coach Tirotta and speed training two days a week with Coach Slater. The distance runners train outdoors everyday by logging as much as 40 miles per week,” Mr. Beres, coach, said.

The team has many goals for the season, and they are working hard to get as far as they can.

“Our goals are to be competitive in the Duneland Conference and advance as many athletes as possible in the postseason. We are very optimistic due to our senior leadership,” Beres said.

After having athletes compete in the State finals during the 2017 season, LPHS looks to make a trip back in hopes of bringing home the hardware, and as the senior athletes approach their final season, they are anxious for a chance to prove their talent(s) one last time.

“As a team, we want to have a winning record and be more competitive in the conference. As an individual, I would really like to set new personal bests for myself. As seniors, we really want to do well because it is our last season together. We want to make it one that we will all remember,” Jacob Marsh, senior athlete, says.

According to coaches, some athletes to watch this season are: Tyler Bensz (long jump), Jacob Marsh (high jump), Jake Thode (throws), Ryan Steder (hurdles, previous State qualifier), and Gabe Yandek (pole vault, freshmen school record holder).

As the team readies themselves to represent LPHS, they hope to draw many supporters to the stands and are excited for their hard work to pay off. The first outdoor meet is March 13th at Portage.