LPHS celebrates FFA week

LPHS celebrates FFA week

It was a week to remember at LPHS.

February 18th to the 23rd is National FFA Week, and the chapter at LaPorte High School had many activities planned each day to show its FFA pride and the impact the chapter makes on the school community.

“When I was first in high school, trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I didn’t have a clear idea, and FFA has really just opened up a lot of doors for what I want to do with the rest of my life. It has brought me into a group of people that are nothing but encouraging and taught me how to work harder and given me a lot of valuable life skills.” Kaelyn Oman, senior and FFA member, said.

Each day students participated in themed days that were chosen by the FFA members. On Monday it was Blue and Gold Day; Tuesday, America Day/Freedom Day; Wednesday was Hat Day; Thursday was Farmer and Petting Zoo Day; Friday was Flannel Day.

On Tuesday, FFA members thanked their sponsors and some staff by making and serving up a delicious breakfast. Their sponsors included many LPHS teachers. Next year, the FFA hopes to make the breakfast larger and invite all LPHS teachers.  

On Thursday, the FFA members brought their animals and held a petting zoo open to all LPHS students. The LaPorte County Small Animal Shelter was at the event and brought a few dogs, including one that was for adoption. The animals at the petting zoo included calves, lambs, miniature horses, a donkey, rabbits and much more.

FFA is open to all students who have an interest in the agriculture field. This organization offers many opportunities for students to grow their knowledge of agriculture and learn valuable life lessons.

“It [The stereotype that you have to be a farmer to be in FFA] is not true at all. A lot of people say that, but half the kids in FFA don’t have a farming background. They just come because they have a passion for agriculture, they love animals, they want to know where their food comes from. They just want to know more. You do not have to be a farmer to be in FFA. That is just a bad stereotype,” Ms. Ferness, student teacher for the Agriculture Department, said.

This week was set to nationally recognized our FFA members in LaPorte and throughout the country. Because of these members, more people are introduced to agriculture and the FFA and all it does for the city of LaPorte.