10 places in La Porte with open wifi

When Chromebooks started being handed out this school year, more and more teachers began to assign online work. While this is not a problem for most, some students who do not have wifi at home find this to be a huge inconvenience.    

“I don’t think it’s fair to basically force families to have to pay for Internet at home. People are trying to cut costs at home just to make ends meet and Internet is an unnecessary expense for most households. Regardless of how the school corporation feels about having Chromebooks and E-learning days, I for one will not be putting wifi back into my home,” Pam Cook, mother of an LPHS senior, said.

With this being the case for some families, there are many ways around not having wifi at home.

Here is a list of 10 places in La Porte that offer free wifi open to the public and can serve as a place for students to complete online school related assignments.

• La Porte Public Library Main Branch: Located on 904 Indiana Ave. This place is perfect for a quiet study session. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed on Sunday.
  • Dunkin Donuts: Located on 151 Pine Lake Ave. Grab a donut and a coffee while studying. Hours are Sunday- Saturday 4 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Starbucks: Come visit the new Starbucks located at 105 Pine Lake Ave. Hours are Monday through Saturday 4:30 a.m. to 10pm, and Sunday 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Rocky Mountain Cafe: The last coffee shop on this list is located at 209 East Lincolnway, and the hours are Monday through Friday 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 7 a.m.-12 p.m.
  • McDonald’s: Having two locations equals more online study opportunities. With locations at 164 Pine Lake Ave, and 200 Boyd Blvd, the hours for both are 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
  • Burger King: This fast food restaurant also has two locations in La Porte at 1012 State Road 2 and 1434 East Lincolnway. Hours for both are Monday through Saturday 6 a.m. to 12 a.m., and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.
  • Wendy’s: Located at 1202 Lincolnway. Hours are Sunday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
  • Subway: While Walmart does have wifi, it’s not that realistic to sit and use it in the store, unless a student sits in the Subway inside of Walmart. Located at 333 Boyd Blvd, hours are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sunday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Culver’s: Located at 233 Pine Lake Ave. Hours for this restaurant are Sunday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • KFC: Concluding this list is KFC, located on 213 Pine Lake Ave, and it is open daily from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

While students not having wifi at home can seem to be a problem, this list compiles nearby locations in La Porte that offer public wifi, allowing students to get around this issue.

Activate Search
10 places in La Porte with open wifi