The last leg: Slicers end season at State

Boys swimming said goodbye to another successful season as they swam at Swimming & Diving State Finals on Friday, February 23rd and Saturday, February 24th. The meet took place in the Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis Natatorium.

The swimmers who qualified were seniors Jacob Cooper, Isaac Temores, and Justin Dusza, and freshman Graham Siefker for the 200 Medley Relay. Temores, Siefker, Cooper, and freshman Jordan Hull participated in the 200 Free Relay. Individually, Cooper qualified for 50 Free and 100 Free.

“I am swimming four events down at State, so I would be beyond pleased with myself to bring home three medals,” Cooper said.

Out of the races that they qualified in for the preliminaries, only two of them made it to finals. They took 14th for 200 Medley Relay and 16th for the 50 Free.

“We have been practicing all season to prepare for state. We knew we would send at least one relay down so we had this weekend as our goal all season,” Cooper said.

Regardless of the result, all of the boys are grateful to have such a successful last season. For a large portion of the boys, this was their final year swimming at State, and their final high school swim meet all together, but Temores, Cooper, and Dusza all plan to swim at different colleges come next fall.

“My favorite part of swimming was being able spend time with all my teammates. Those boys are like family to me so it made my last year at LaPorte one to remember,” Cooper said.

This season was definitely one that the team will never forget, especially as a big chunk of the team moves on to college.