Starting the new season with a new beginning

As the spring season approaches, athletes are preparing for their time to shine. The LaPorte Lacrosse team has been practicing everyday for their first game.

For Lacrosse, the team has been working to improve for months already.

The practices started on January 8th. They are Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. until 7 a.m. and Tuesdays from 7:45 p.m. until 9 p.m.

The teams goal is to improve from last season in the win category and competitiveness. As they have not had their first game yet, they are all working harder than ever.

“One of our goals is to have more than just three wins this year. We want to have a lot of wins and we want to have fun also. We are working hard in our practicing to make sure every player knows what is going on,” Wade Garrett, junior said.

Due to the sport not being an official IHSAA sanctioned sport, fundraising is important to the team. Team registrations cover referee costs, equipment costs, practice pack clothing and other expenses. Fundraising allows the team to cover tournament costs, team awards, uniform cost and extras for the teams.

The LaPorte Lacrosse asks each family to participate in Poinsettia Sales or Port-a-Pit Chicken Sales by selling $200 work of Poinsettias or Port-a-Pit tickets. If a player is unable to participate and would like to buy out of the fundraising obligation, this can be at $100 per family.

The team is in need of more players. If students are interested in joining the Lacrosse team, they can see Nick Korell for more information.

“Our numbers have improved and we have a lot more people that have came out this year, which helps out a lot. Our skill level has definitely improved as well. Our new freshmen are looking pretty good as well,” Garrett said.

Come out and support the Lacrosse team for their first game on March 15th.