“Say Yes to the Dress”

“Say Yes to the Dress”

LaPorte High School is hosting a “Say Yes to the Dress” drive for students to find the perfect Prom dress. Students are encouraged to donate any gently-worn formal dresses that they may have from previous dances, pageants, or formal occasions. Donations of shoes and jewelry are also being accepted.

Dress, shoe, and jewelry donations are being accepted until March 23rd, and donations can be dropped off in the main office at LPHS or at RL Roofing in Michigan City. After donations are collected, they will be inspected and cleaned.

“These dresses will be professionally dry cleaned before the students wear them to insure that they are nice and clean for the big day. The community and staff has already began coming together to donate dresses. I have had messages and emails from strangers about wanting to donate dresses and this is great!” Mrs. Henderson, LPHS teacher, said.

With the high price that some Prom dresses carry, many students struggle to afford a dress that they feel comfortable wearing. With the dress drive that LPHS is hosting, and with all dress sizes available, students can avoid the heavy costs and still feel great at Prom.

The group in charge of the drive is planning to set up a day for students to come in and “shop” for their dress and accessories. The event is also planned to hold raffles for items such as garters and gift certificates for hairdos, and snacks and drinks will be provided. More information for this will be announced at a later date.

Any student borrowing a dress, shoes, or jewelry is asked to donate any money that they can, though it is not required. Money that is raised through the dress drive will be donated.

Students are excited for Prom, especially with the opportunity to go without having to worry about affording a dress. Those donating dresses have been able to happily clear out space in their closet while finding a great new home for their old dresses.

“It’s a good thing for people who don’t have a lot of money to be able to just borrow a dress without having to pay a ton of money for it. Some dresses are over $500 and not everybody can afford that,” Amber Oldham, LPHS student, said.

Anybody interested in borrowing a dress can talk to Mrs. Henderson in room H.18. No one should let the price of a dress prevent them from feeling like a princess!