LPHS choir dreams big

Start spreading the news! La Porte High School Choir will be taking a trip to New York for spring break.

In October, Mr. Coe, LPHS Choir director, made a proposal for Mr. Tonagel and Dr. Larson, and it was approved, allowing choir students to spend some times in the Big Apple.

There are 23 students and nine parents going on this trip. They are going to many Broadway shows, to the Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Central Park, and wherever else the big city takes them.

They will be seeing Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd, Anastasia, Spongebob Squarepants, and Hello Dolly.

“I can’t wait for the students to experience New York City! They are going to be doing a workshop with two Broadway professionals on one of the days, so that will be a really neat experience! I’m personally looking forward to seeing Hello, Dolly and Spongebob Squarepants the most!” Coe said.

LPHS raised many funds to make this trip possible. They sold Fannie May candy bars, Nelson’s port-a-pit, had a talent show “La Porte has Talent,” sold bath bombs, entertainment books, poinsettias, and had numerous give-back nights at local restaurants.

“I personally and the choir as a whole, have done many things to fundraise to help make the trip more affordable,” Jayme Osowski, senior said.

A bunch of the parents of the choir students, chipped in and are chaperoning the trip. The cost is a little over $1,000 per person. This will include transportation, hotel in Times Square, all meals, and also tickets to five shows.

“I think all the students going on the trip are very excited and can’t wait for spring break. A very large number of us have never been to New York so we get to have this first time experience together.” Reid Bello, senior said.

Spring break is only a few weeks away, and LPHS choir cannot wait to be in the big city.