LPHS Problem Solvers compete at State

The LPHS Future Problem Solvers competed against fellow FPS teams throughout the state and placed 5th out of 12 teams.

The team consists of three members that included Alissa Gambill, Angelica Ramos, and Abby Campos. The team sponsor in Mrs. Kwasny, 7th grade reading teacher. The FPS team meets twice a week for a hour to work on a problem.

The problems vary each year from solving local, national, and world issues.

“The FPS program give students the opportunity to use their critical thinking skills, learn how to identify problems that are set in future scenes, and examine the world in constructive ways while explore strategies for the future,” Mrs. Kwasny said.

At the competitions, students are given around  18 questions and two hours to use their critical thinking skills to find problems and solutions to those problems in a strategic way.

“It [Future Problem Solvers] gives you a change to think of problems that you normally wouldn’t think of,” Alissa Gambill, freshman and first year FPS member, said.

The competition was located at Clark Pleasant Middle School in Greenwood, Indiana. The LPHS team, however, competed from a classroom in LaPorte on Friday, March 9 from 3-5 p.m due to transportation complications.

FPS is always looking for new members at the beginning of the school year. If interested make sure to listen to the announcements at the start of the 2018-2019 school year!