An art class like no other

In the 2016-2017 school year the AP 3D Studio Art class was introduced to LPHS and was taught by Mrs. Lebo. This class is fairly new and is more than a group of students who go around painting murals, and plows. Take a look at what each student is doing in the AP class.

Students in the AP 3-D class have many things to do, but their main focus is their breadth. A breadth is the overall theme of a student’s projects and they base their projects off of it.

Alexis Joyner, 10th grade– “My breadth is things that are broken. I thought the idea of taking broken things and making them into pretty and useful objects would be a cool thing to base my projects off of. A project I made was this broken and ripped up welcome rug, but it still looked pretty, and it kind of represents letting people into your life even if it isn’t as pretty as normal.”

Anyssa Guevara, 11th grade– “I chose nature for my breadth, and I chose this because it was an easy topic, and I hate seeing forests and seas being destroyed. This project I am working on right now is this sunflower made from fabrics made from plants.”

Caesar Rosales, 12th grade– “My breadth is protection. I came into the class with no idea what to do, but Mrs. Lebo talked to me about myself, and we came to the conclusion that I am very protective, so I took some of my personal qualities and put them into my projects. I am making this mouth and people are living inside of it to represent being protected but not exactly safe.”

Caroline Kozlowski, 11th grade– “My breadth is global warming, and I thought it was an easy topic to make projects off of. I am working on a painted light bulb, and it was showing the earth dying from the inside out.”

Chelsea Bartels, 11th grade– “My breadth is nature and deforestation. I wanted a more challenging breadth, so I chose nature because of it’s wide variety of topics I could chose. I just made this project of like a sunflower and each petal is a different element.”

Emma Perra, 12th grade– “My breadth is body image, and I chose this because I grew up with plenty of body image issues, so I take my stories and others and make these projects that are relatable. I am currently working on a this plastercraft hamburger to represent this thing you want to eat but you don’t want to so you stay ‘healthy.’”

Gabby Morton, 12th grade– “My breadth is about a corrupt society and its effects on modern day. I just started a new project, and it is based off of Lady Justice. I chose ‘a corrupt society’ because it’s relatable and true.”

Hannah Butler, 11th grade– “My breadth is capturing animals and the use of their fur. I chose this because of the many ways I could use different furs to make cool projects. I am currently working on this fur ball thing, and I am sowing wire into it to represent ways people catch and ruin animal furs.”

Jack Boardman, 12th grade- “My breadth is all about vulnerability, softness, and showing your second skin. When I was younger, I was always very timid and easy to bully, so I’m taking those experiences and putting them into my work. This project I am working on right now is like a very sheer shirt that is almost see through, and I am going to embroider veins on it to show that even though you are showing your outer skin, many can still see under it.”

Jaden Millard, 10th grade– “My main focus, or my breadth, is based off of schizophrenia. I have never really been influenced by this disorder, but I have people I know with depression basically evolve into something worse like schizophrenia, so I wanted to use the experiences to show what schizophrenia is really like. A project I just got done working on was a set of clear stair-like windows with different colored dyes in them. I did this to show how as you move up or get deeper into depression your emotions can fluctuate or change very often.”

Kaitlyn Lantz, 12th grade– “Okay, so my breadth is growth, and I chose this because I wanted to show different ways people can grow up. I just finished a project, and it is a vase that shows the levels of grief and growing up.

Kelsey Henry, 12th grade– “My breadth is mainly about restoration and healing. I chose this because I felt that it can relatable to anyone and can possibly show what it is like to heal from something so hurtful. A project I am working on right now is a three different pieced project, and it is three different plates, and bowls that represent the sea, sky, and sun.”

Kennedy Land, 10th grade– “My breadth is beyond skin deep, and I think it is important to show people that you are not just pretty on the outside. I am working on a project, and it is this cotton ball thing full of spikes, and it is supposed to represent people who can be nice and mean but not hurtful.”

Makayla Shreves, 11th grade– “My breadth revolves around fake personalities and being a traitor to your friends. I grew up with a lot of people who used me and most of my projects represent that. I made this project, and it was a bedazzled banana, and I let it rot to show that you can be pretty and nice on the outside but ugly and gross on the inside.”

Reina Steppe, 11th grade– “My breadth of my projects is Bipolar disorder, and I chose this because I have always been fascinated in mental disorders and enjoy showing what they are like through art. Right now I am working on this vase involves roses. One of them is red and the other two are different shades of gray to show that even something so bright and extravagant can become dark and wilted.”

Summer Lowe, 12th grade– “My breadth is addiction, and my whole life my family has had problems with drug addiction and alcohol, so I have plenty of material to base my work off of. I am currently working on a DNA strip, and I am making it burned and gross to show that drugs can alter your DNA.”

In May, the AP 3-D students will send off their portfolio to be graded by the A.P. judges. These students have continued to wow the students and staff with with their remarkable