Turning the key: LPHS adds Key Club

LaPorte High School is putting together a new club with old roots.

Key Club International has been around since 1925 and is a youth branch of the adult group, Kiwanis Club. LPHS has recently decided to start a branch at the high school, giving students the opportunity to give their service to all types of community projects.

“It [Key Club] is an international organization that focuses on providing philanthropic services to the community with an emphasis on children,” Mrs. Cooper, club sponsor, said.

The first club meeting was on Wednesday, March 14th. Though the club has not yet been officially established and officers must still be elected, the club is looking to begin discussing and planning projects in the near future.

“I initially started the Key Club in order to have an outlet of community service that is more frequent and more effective on a larger scale; however, I have realized that I really want to use this club to not only get others to serve the community but have fun while doing it as well,” Shelby Riehle, junior, said.

With the club being widespread and having members all over the world, there is no limit on what can be achieved. Members of the club look to learn more about service leadership and find ways to help make a difference. Each member should be willing to provide several hours of service.

“We aren’t sure yet how many people are going to take advantage of this opportunity. I would expect it to grow to be 75-100 members,” Cooper said.

The next meeting will be on Wednesday, March 28th, 2018 at 7:00 a.m. in room J.15. Any student interested in joining can attend this meeting. Students interested can also pick up a yearbook photo pass from Mrs. Cooper in room J.15.

For more information on the values and goals of the Key Club, visit https://www.keyclub.org/.