Filling the hearts and minds of students

Math is a terrifying yet tetious subject for most people, but Ms. Salyer, teacher at LPHS, makes learning math a little easier with her help along the way.

Salyer went to high school at John Glenn, but her roots in La Porte grew shortly after.

Salyer attended Indiana University: South Bend and graduated with a Bachelors of Science degree in education with an emphasis in math. While getting her degree, she student taught at LPHS.

She did not stay in the area after graduation, as her first teaching job took her to the eastern part of the state.

She started off teaching sixth, seventh, and eighth grade math at an alternative school in Fort Wayne for six years. Then she taught at Northrop High School in Fort Wayne for 11 years teaching Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, SAT prep, Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Architecture until making her way back to LPHS sixteen years after student teaching there.

At LPHS, Salyer teaches Algebra I, Algebra II, and Trigonometry. While teaching students math, she also teaches students many valuable life lessons along the way. She encourages student daily to do their best and makes math a lot more understandable.

“Ms. Salyer’s job was to teach me about Algebra, but she ended up teaching me more about myself. She took me under her wing as a sophomore, and she has impacted my life everyday since then. She taught me how to be patient with people because she was always so patient with me. Whether it was with a math problem or a personal problem, she would help me work through it. Ms. Sayler helped me realize who I was and who I wanted to be. She helped me discover the greatness inside of me. I could never thank her enough for being my mentor through high school, but most importantly being my rock after I graduated,” Madelyn Holmes, early graduate class of ‘18, said.  

Ms. Salyer has changed the lives of many students throughout her 20 years of teaching and will continue being a spectacular teacher for many years to come. Salyer is a valuable asset to LPHS and all of its students.