Eggert STEAMing ahead

Eggert STEAMing ahead

When people think of individuals involved in STEAM (science, technology,engineering, the arts, and mathematics), people generally think of men; however women are changing that stereotype. Mrs. Eggert, teacher at LPHS, is one of those amazing women who shines bright in a male dominated area.

At a young age, Eggert discovered a love for engineering and was curious about how things worked and questioned it often.

“I have always had interests in Engineering/Technology, Science/Medicine, and Teaching/Learning as long as I can remember. My vocations have always combined at least two of my interests. It just was a natural fit to teach math because of engineering and how I had real world examples of how math is used. Then I was given the opportunity to teach a Project Lead the Way engineering class.” Eggert said.

Mrs. Eggert has been a teacher for the past 30 years but did not start out teaching high school students. For 22 years, she was a postsecondary teacher, teaching at Purdue Northwest.

Eight years ago, she decided that she could make a larger impact on students by teaching K-12. She went back to school at Bethel University and soon started teaching at Saint Joseph High School in South Bend.

Fast forward to the fall of 2017, Eggert was teaching at  LPHS. Currently she is teaching PLTW: Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Civil Engineering and Architecture, and 2D AutoCAD at LPHS. Although, at other schools she has taught Algebra I and II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, and Math Lab.

Eggerts’ ability to teach a wide variety of classes is due to her extensive list of degrees.

Eggert earned a bachelor’s degree in Bioengineering with an electrical engineering emphasis from Purdue University. She got a Master’s Degree in Education in Instructional Research and Development. She attended Bethel College’s Transition to Teaching program and Notre Dame’s ACE program for Exceptional Children.

Recently, Eggert was involved in women in STEAM event called NASA at My Library event held at ElKhart Public Library on Monday, March 19. This event was comprised of four panelists including a computer scientist, a chemist, a mechanical engineer, and Eggert. Each person brought a hands on activity to do and then explained STEAM, what advice they would give to their younger selves, and answer questions from the girls attending.

Eggert is just one of the many women who are rewriting the script of what female roles should be. All girls can excel in this area. Female STEAM teachers like Eggert are a great example that women can do anything.

“You never know where that path will take you. When I was taking my engineering courses, we were told that engineering made a great stepping stone into different careers because the problem solving, perseverance, ability to take in information and do something with it, etc. never goes away.” Eggert said.

Although her life at work contains STEAM, Eggert’s whole live does not revolve around it. She enjoys being with my family and friends, reading, quilting, baking, and trying new things.

Make sure to say hello to Mrs. Eggert and introduce yourself to the new, phenomenal teacher at LPHS.