LPHS Envirothon heads to State

Two LPHS Envirothon teams headed to Red Mill County Park, for their first Envirothon meet on  March 15th. While only one team is heading to State, both did well in their placements.

Envirothon is an academic competition that allows students to test their knowledge on forestry, aquatics, soil, wildlife, and a current environmental issue. This is a great club for students who are involved with gardening, farming and being outdoors, but anyone is allowed to join.

At the local meet, students from all over La Porte County, Porter County, and Jasper County came together to listen to presentators, to compete, and to learn more about their environment. The first half of the meet is given to presentators to tell about a certain topic. The tests are handed out second. Teams of five get together to take five different tests. Team members are allowed to help each other figure out answers.

“Our first meet was fun. For the most time we were inside listening, learning, and taking the test, but we had time to go to the park, and we got free food,” Jillian Ross, junior, said.

LPHS had two individual teams; Envirosaurus Rex (a.k.a. Team A), and Cyanobacteria (a.k.a. Team B). Team A placed in 1st, and Team B placed in 4th. While team A is moving onto State, team B is preparing for next year, hoping to come back better, and smarter.

“Even though we don’t get to go to State, I am still very proud in our progress. We got 4th place, and most of us haven’t taken any environment based classes yet,” Holly Schaffer, junior, said.

With State in sight, Team A has high hopes and longer studying periods. All of the team members hope to place, but the one with the highest hopes is Mrs. Rice, the Envirothon coach. Last year LPHS almost placed at state, and this year Rice and her team are shooting for a win.

“I hope to place in the top three at the state competition. We were very close last year, and we are redeeming ourselves. Even though three of our members were at State last year, I am still pushing them harder than before,” Rice, said.

LPHS leaves for state in Idaho on April 25th, and hopes to come back with ribbons, and a spot at Nationals.