Higley travels to D.C. for VFW award

LPHS senior Keeley Higley traveled to Washington D.C. on March 3rd. She was awarded first place in Indiana for VFW’s “America: Our Hope for the Future” essay contest.

Higley’s essay highlighted that America’s hope for the future exists in the people’s willingness to change it. Some of the judges said it was one of the best essays they had seen come through the scholarship.

In honor of winning, Higley received a $2,000 scholarship and an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington D.C. for the award ceremony.

During her stay, Higley was able to sight see and experience life in D.C. She was able to meet the other 49 state winners while also touring various places such as the White House, the Smithsonian Museum, and the Natural History Museum.

“We also visited the Smithsonian museums, so I spent a lot of time in the Natural History Museum.  We went to Arlington Cemetery and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, and both were really humbling experiences.  Seeing the names and faces of Holocaust victims was incredibly disconcerting, and it brought a lot about life into perspective,” Higley said.

Higley is currently president of Speech & Debate and 4-H, vice president of National Honor Society and Interact Club, editor of the Reflections magazine, and also apart of Student Council and the Principal’s Advisory Board.

Higley plans to attend Purdue University in the fall to study Communications and dietetics, in hope that she will become a diabetic educator in the future.