Tune-ups instead of textbooks

Learning does not always have to be a lecture or bookwork. Mr. Walker and his students are proof of that.

Currently at LPHS, the Agriculture Power and Structure class, or more commonly known as the Ag Mechanics, is involving the school in its projects as they students learn to tune-up lawn mowers and other small engines.

The class offered teachers the chance to have tune-ups which includes an oil change, blade sharpening, check spark plugs, and check/clean or replace of the air filter for a donation of $25 for lawn mowers and $50 for lawn tractors to the LPHS FFA. Before students worked on the staff’s small engines, they brought in engines from home to work on to practice. This year, 10 staff members brought their lawn mowers in for the students to work on.

“Mr. Walker’s class does a great job. When I pull the cord, the mower starts.” Mr. Ruff, Construction teacher and customer of the Ag Mechanics project, said.

Ag Mechanics is a hands on class and teaches many skills such as basic electricity, plumbing,welding, and working on small engines.

“A lot of people see agriculture as stuff only dudes can do, but some of the best welders in this class have been girls. It’s really cool to be able to learn all those different things [in Ag Mechanics] that will be helpful later in life that most people associated to be male dominated,” Kaelyn Oman, senior, said.   

In this class, students follow the FFA motto everyday: “Learning to do, Doing to Learn, Earning to Live, and Living to Serve”.

For more information about this class or other projects regarding FFA, see Mr. Walker in F.13.