Roberts to attend Rockettes Summer Intensive

Abigail Roberts, LaPorte High School junior, is breaking records and reaching goals in more than just one way.

Though she has recently broke the 30-year-old LPHS Swim and Dive 50-yard Freestyle record, Roberts’ successes don’t stop there. She has been inducted into the National Honor Society, as well as the Tri-M Music Honor Society, and is an active member of Girl’s Reserves, Student Council, Spanish Club, Principal’s Advisory Council, and is in the LPHS Symphony Orchestra. Her drive and activeness does not stop there- she dances outside of school, and is accomplishing things that many girls could only dream of.

Roberts has been invited to attend the 2018 Rockettes Summer Intensive, a week long dance training camp instructed by Rockettes, in New York City this summer. The six-day training session, with each day lasting over seven hours, will end with a showcase to allow the dancers to show what they have learned.

The Rockettes Summer Intensive is not something that is available for everyone. Roberts was required to attend an audition in Chicago in January. Roberts was one of about 100 girls at the Chicago audition, which lasted about three hours long. In order to be invited to the intensive, Roberts had to show her current skills and demonstrate the hard work she has put into her training.

“I’ve trained in the Rockettes style one hour a week for two years now. Leading up to the audition for the intensive, I did several hour-long private lessons with my dance teacher to prepare,” Roberts said.

All athletes find themselves struggling at times, but with the support and encouragement of her parents and dance teacher, Roberts has found her way through difficulties and has discovered her true talents.

“My mom and dad have always supported my dance goals, but one of my biggest supporters is my dance teacher, Krystal Rose. She is the one who told me about the audition and opportunity. She convinced me to go and give it a shot. She’s given me all of my Rockettes training and she has helped me become the dancer I am today,” Roberts said.

Roberts has set goals for herself and is planning to continue taking part in her interests throughout college.

“After I graduate, I want to go to college and focus on academics; however, I still want to continue to dance to open myself to new dancing opportunities. I also plan on continuing my swimming career in college,” Roberts said.

Whether she is dancing, swimming, or focusing on academics, Roberts’ hard-working personality is sure to take her far- including the Big Apple this summer.