LPHS at 2018 WGI World Championships

The La Porte High School Winter Guard competed in the WGI World Championships on April 12th and 13th in Dayton, Ohio.

After their rehearsal on Wednesday, April 11th, the Guard loaded up and began their four hour drive to Dayton.

On Thursday, April 12th, LPWG performed their show for Scholastic Open class prelims,  Guards, with a score of 85.5 and qualified for semi-finals.

“I think one of my favorite parts about prelims and semi-finals at WGI is that towards the end of the season, all of the little parts of the show change and fit like puzzle pieces to create the final show. It’s really cool to follow and look back at each of the performances and watch for the improvements that were made each time, whether big or small,” Madison Aguirre, LPHS freshman, said.  

Following prelims, semi-finals for the Scholastic Open class were held the next day in the Dayton Arena at the University of Dayton.

In semi-finals, LPWG had a score of 84.5, placing 28th out of 36 Winter Guards. Unfortunately, only the top 20 Winter Guards advanced to WGI Finals.

“We knew we had some mistakes from prelims, so we practiced and made them better, however, we got a lower score in semi-finals than in prelims, and that was probably because we had new judges who weren’t familiar with our show and just didn’t like what we did with it. Stage fright has been our worst enemy this whole season so that’s probably what did it,” Kayla Kelpsh, LPHS junior and LPWG captain, said.

Their show, titled Transcendance, features four movements: Today, The Departure, Beyond, and Coming Home.

“Our show is about the questions of existence like ‘Is there life beyond what we know it as?’ and ‘Why are we here?’. It starts with a city and one girl who has gone to the other side. She doesn’t know why no one can see her. As the show goes on, there’s tragedy and other people start to transcend and encourage others to transcend as well. By the end, everyone has gone through to the other side, and we see that there is life beyond what we can see. We show that by finally touching, stretching, and celebrating the beauty and complexity of life and interconnection,” Kelpsh said.

Prior to WGI 2018 World Championships, LPWG hosted the Midwest Color Guard Circuit Championships at La Porte High School on April 7th and 8th. This was the 3rd year in a row that LPWG has been named Circuit Champion of Scholastic Open class. Anna Nelson, LPWG senior, was also the recipient of a Midwest Color Guard Circuit scholarship.

As another Winter Guard season comes to a close, the team, yet again, brought home numerous wins and proved that LPWG is a force to be reckoned with.