Boston’s Builder’s club

Boston’s Builder’s club

Introducing a new twist on bringing schools together, Boston Middle School’s Builder’s Club is an international student-led group of middle schoolers who perform services, lead projects, and build character. It also makes sure to help kids leave middle school with skills to become gratifying and unbelievably wonderful young adults.

These students are directed by Holly Welsh, 7th grade Social Studies teacher, and her sidekick Jamie Vincent, 7th grade Language Arts teacher.

“The Builder’s Club is a Kiwanis organization. Last year, TJ Hague, Mike Riehle, and Steve Bernth brought the proposal of starting a Builder’s Club at Boston. The K-Kids, another Kiwanis Club, is a successful group at many of the elementary schools, and the idea of these leadership skills sounded incredible. As soon as I heard about this club, I jumped at the opportunity to start it up. I knew that my colleague and friend, Jamie Vincent, would be an incredible partner in the endeavour,” Welsh said.

Some projects and services that the middle schoolers in Builder’s Club have been working on include: helping design, build and decorate a separation anxiety room at Giant Paw Animal Rescue, guiding runners for the Run for Jake 5K run, participating in the LPHS Trick or Treat event for Special Olympics, and more recently, hosting a fundraiser called “Cakes for CASA.”

“Our goal is to complete at least one community service project a month for the remainder of the year. The goal of our club is to create a school and community where our hearts are called to serve whenever we see a need. We want to teach students the power that they have in making this a better community and that even though they are young, they are world changers,” Welsh said.

Even though it’s just starting out, the club has been successful so far in getting members. Open to students grades six through eight, club meetings are held every other Wednesday at the start of school.

“Builder’s Club gives the power to the students. The kids help decide what projects they want to pursue and then from start to finish; they develop them. We allow anyone who expresses interest in making our world a better place to be a part of our club,” Welsh said.

The Builder’s Club at Boston Middle School is a great way to learn skills that will last a lifetime, like leadership, responsibility, work ethic and many more. Students at Boston Middle School who are interested in joining should attend a meeting, held every other Wednesday morning before school in Mrs. Welsh’s room.