Wilmsen named Class of 2018 Salutatorian

Advanced Placement classes and Emily Wilmsen have become synonymous with each other. After 13 years of tireless work, Wilmsen was named Salutatorian for the Class of 2018.

When Wilmsen first came to LPHS, she did not have her sights on being Salutatorian. Her only plans were to try her best and graduate with a 4.0 G.P.A. Many know Wilmsen as a hard working and very pro-active student, so it was no surprise that the honor went to her.

“Emily worked so hard throughout high school. I figured she had a chance at Salutatorian so I was not very surprised that she is Salutatorian,” Lauren Kaminski, senior, said.

Wilmsen plans on going to Purdue to study engineering this fall.

Wilmsen’s biggest inspirations are her parents. She did everything to make her parents proud since they stood by her and supported her through so much.

Mrs. Welling, and Mr. Scherrick also play a big role in Wilmsen’s life. The two teach some of her favorite subjects, so it was a no-brainer when it came to liking them, and the feeling was clearly mutual.

“I really enjoyed having Emily in class. She never strayed too far from path the class took, so she was always on track. She was a nice and amazing student, and she definitely deserves Salutatorian,” Mr. Sherrick, said.

Throughout her time at LPHS, Wilmsen has managed to keep her 4.0 G.P.A. even through all of the AP classes she has taken including: AP World history, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP US History, AP Government, AP Psychology, AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP English. Even with this stressful workload, Wilmsen thrived..

Aside from her studies Emily also participates in softball, golf, is actively involved in National Honors Society, Student Athletic Council, and she is also a peer tutor for Miss Gilliland in the Freshman Learning Community. Wilmsen somehow juggles all of her studies with her hobbies, which is impressive.  She is a leader in every sense of the word.

LPHS wishes Wilmsen good luck at Purdue and to her life after LPHS.