The importance of “Love, Simon”

The importance of “Love, Simon”

It is without a doubt that “Love, Simon” is one of the biggest and most anticipated film of the year. The film was heavily promoted before the film hit theaters; many celebrities and teenagers were patiently waiting for the release date, March 16th.

The film is about a 17-year-old Simon Spier who is a closeted gay teenage boy in high school who is forced to balance his friends, his family, and the blackmailer threatening to out him to the entire school, while simultaneously attempting to discover the identity of the anonymous classmate with whom he was fallen in love with online.

The movie provided the LGBTQ+ and POC (person of people) community with more accurate portrayals of themselves that they always wanted and needed. With the push for more representation in the media in all aspects, this film does a sufficient job.

The film has a more diverse cast than others in its genre because it has two black leads and a protagonist who is gay. “Love, Simon” proves that diversity in film does not need to a conversational topic. As viewers see each diverse characters on screen, viewers see that diversity simply is different but not bad; characters are humanizing groups of people who are often labeled. The movie highlights the transgender community and the LGBTQ+ with a wider variation of people.

“While there’s still quite a way to go until everyone is accepting of everyone else, I would say that the world is a much more open place than it was 10 or even five years ago. There are people out there who will appreciate them for who they are, even if times are tough at the moment, they will get easier. And to not be afraid of asking for help, that it is not a sign of weakness but one of strength,” Doty, Biology teacher, said.

After the film came out, Nick Robinson, who plays Simon, revealed on the Ellen DeGeneres Show that one of his brothers came out around the same time he started filming the movie. While he said the timing was a coincidence, he admitted that the role helped him connect to his brother in that moment.

As the film hits to an end, majority of the people left the theater with a roller coaster filled with emotions. It is important for not only a teenager to watch the new hit film, but as well as parents, teachers, and grandparents as they will feel a message of acceptance of others.

“I liked the movie because it portraits how hard it can be to come out to everyone. When you have a secret like that, you don’t know how people will react and that’s really scary. Love, Simon actually does a really good job showing what it is like. There are many parts in the movie where I cried, and other people didn’t. They didn’t understand what it is like to actually go through something like that,” Prestin Butcher, junior, said.