Ending where she began: McIntyre set to retire

During students’ time in school, the future to success starts with the elementary years. Mrs. McIntyre, teacher at Crichfield Elementary School, is a beautiful example of an educator who laid the path of success for the multitude of students who came into her classroom.

McIntyre’s 35 year career has been spent exclusively in La Porte Community School Corporation. She graduated from LaPorte High School and then attended Purdue University to study elementary education. McIntyre wound up back home, student teaching in first grade at Crichfield Elementary School. She then landed a job after college graduation at Crichfield and is ending her career at the same place where her path started.

It was evident to McIntyre early on that the career she chose for herself would never quite feel like a job; it was her passion.

“When I first began teaching, I told my husband that I loved the job so much I wouldn’t even need to be paid to go to work!” McIntyre said.

McIntyre’s biggest joys have usually always come from her students. Over the years, McIntyre’s favorite moments included the many stories children have told her and the looks on students’ faces when they succeed.

“I have learned that all students are capable of learning and that each child learns in different ways and in their own time. I like to believe that I look at each child as an individual and that my goal is to see as much growth as possible in each child,” McIntyre said.

McIntyre has left her impact on the staff and students at Crichfield. She will be greatly missed by all.

“Mrs. McIntyre is respected by everyone who has been fortunate enough to know her. She is everything a teacher should be. Every time I go into Mrs. McIntyre’s classroom, I want to be in the first grade myself! She is kind, objective, inquisitive, and celebrates each child’s uniqueness!” Mrs. Biggs, principal at Crichfield, said.

Filling McIntyre’s shoes will be hard to do because every decision she made, every lesson she planned, and every day she taught, she did it for the love of her students, and she hopes future educators feel the same way.

“I would tell them to always do what is best for the child. One of my principals told me that when in doubt about a situation, always do what is best for the child, and you will have done the right thing,” McIntyre said.

After retirement McIntyre plans to open a vintage, primitives, and repurposed shop in Kingsbury and to visit all the National Parks in the United States. After 35 years in the classroom, this will be a much deserved change of pace.

Crichfield Elementary School and all of McIntyre’s former students thank her for the years of endless dedication and hard work towards educating and supporting her Crichfield Cougars.