Szynal says goodbye

Mrs. Szynal, Lincoln Elementary School principal, has decided to close her office door for the final time in June, as she has recently announced that she is planning to retire at the end of the 2017-2018 school year.

After 34 years in education, Szynal has left her mark on many students, families, and coworkers. She began her career in education in 1984 as an elementary teacher at Stilesville Elementary School in the Mill Creek School Corporation. Only one year later, Szynal decided to move back to LaPorte to become the Academic Director, or principal, at LeMans Academy. After 15 years as an Academic Director, Szynal was hired by LaPorte Community Schools.

“In 2000, I was hired by LaPorte Community Schools as the Program Facilitator, spending five years at that position. In 2005, I came to Lincoln Elementary as the principal,” Szynal said.

Being a principal at Lincoln Elementary School for 13 years, Szynal has become a highly respected and admired person in the community. Students, teachers, and parents are all planned to miss her greatly.

“She has been an amazing principal at Lincoln and has brought in many ideas that have helped encourage our students. Her Celebrations of Success encouraged our students to always try their best. She started attendance awards to help improve our school’s attendance rate, and just all the little things she does to help keep Lincoln School running smoothly. She will be greatly missed, but I wish her the best on her retirement!” Tricia Zila, Lincoln teacher, said.

While she has loved her years working in education, Szynal is excitedly planning for her days of retirement. With her husband being newly retired, she looks to spend more time with him, and she hopes to travel, play golf, bike ride, volunteer, help her parents, and spend more time with her adult children.

According to Szynal, one of the best parts of working in education has been talking with former students and hearing about the differences she has made in their lives. Through the challenges she has faced throughout her career, she has created friendships and memories that will last a lifetime, and she has witnessed incredible experiences.

“It’s not an easy job, but the joy it can bring to you is very rewarding.  Watching and helping students grow in their learning is an awesome experience,” Szynal said.

Her dedication, love, and endless support for her students and school are beyond comparison.

“She has been an advocate for the students and staff at Lincoln throughout her years, and she makes very thoughtful and well informed decisions for her building. She has been a positive role model for her students and staff. She has brought a calming influence to her building,” Steve Manering, assistant superintendent, said.

Though there is no doubt that she will be missed dearly, LPCSC would like to wish Szynal a great retirement.