Scholarship night

Scholarship night

LPHS seniors were honored with local scholarships on April 26th.

On Thursday, April 26th, LPHS Seniors were awarded scholarships that they applied for during second trimester.

With over 40 scholarships available and over $60,000 in scholarships given away, every scholarship was well earned by the best of the Class of 2018.

Scholarships ranged from $100 to over $1,000. Some of the local scholarships offered included LaPorte Service League, Lincoln Elementary PTA, Boys LaPorte Cross Country, LaPorte Turbos Swim Club, LPHS Student Council, FOP Lodge 54 Memorial Scholarship, Unity Foundation/Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship, and the list goes on.

Students had to apply early in second trimester to be eligible to win any scholarships. LPHS and Slicer families are thankful for all of the organizations for giving these students an opportunity to help their future. Many of the scholarships had multiple winners, for instance the Kingsford Height PTA scholarship. Two winners from that individual scholarship were Kelsey Henry and Mariah Sanders.

β€œI received the French Club Scholarship and the Kingsford Heights PTA scholarship. I will be attending Indiana University in Bloomington in the fall. These scholarships will help me not only with the money, but also with confidence. I think winning anything will help push me you do better in the future,” Henry said.

Some individuals were very fortunate and won multiple scholarships. Abby Zila, LPHS senior, received scholarships from Spanish Club, FOP Lodge 54 Memorial, Girl Reserves, LaPorte Federation of Teachers, Tri Kappa Scholarship, 1st Trust Credit Union, and BMS Community Involvement.

β€œIn the fall I am attending Indiana State University. I am majoring in Nursing with a minor in Spanish. I am paying for a majority of my college, so these scholarships will help reduce my college expenses and achieve my goal,” Zila said.

Four years of hard work has paid off.