LPHS softball slides into a successful season

A new coach does not change the high expectations of LaPorte Softball; in fact, it has only raised them.

Already well into the season, even with multiple weather postponements and cancellations, the team record sits at 13-5 (5-5 in the DAC).

The team’s chemistry has been growing stronger each day. Every player plays her own role in contributing to the wins, but all manage to come together as a whole.

“I feel like we build off each other’s accomplishments and pick each other up when someone is struggling during a game. I feel like our team chemistry continues to grow every year and that’s something I am very proud to say improves every year,” Emily Samuelson, junior said.

This past weekend, the girls won their third consecutive Hook’em Zook’em tournament, which they host. They beat South Bend Adams, Rochester, and Lowell to take home the trophy. Some highlights of the tournament were Avery Wolfenbarger owning the pitching mound for 3 games in a row and Olivia Zarantonello hitting a grand slam.

As the season is approaching to end, with Senior Night on May 9th, many seniors such as, Emily Wilmsen, Avery Wolfenbarger, Rylee Penziol, and Kirsta Greer are sad to say goodbye to a sport they have been playing the majority of their lives.

“I am extremely sad. I really enjoy the high school softball season and being with my friends everyday. A couple of the seniors have become some of my best friends, so it will be tough not being able to play with them anymore, Avery Wolfenbarger, senior, said.

On May 9th, come and support the team and the seniors on their final home game.