Goers says goodbye

Business and technology teacher Mr. Goers is hanging up his hat after 37 years of teaching.

Goers knew that education was his career choice all the way back from middle school.

“I was in the 7th grade when I was showing a classmate in P.E. how to do a difficult task, and he was able to accomplish this task, like a light bulb came on. My aunt was also a teacher,” Goers said.

As he began to teach, it was apparent what made the job so special to him. Goers truly feels as if a school is the place he fits best in.

“Seeing it in my students when they got it, when they finally understood a concept. Any time students come up to me or say to others, I remember doing this or learning that in your class or “how much of what I learned in class I remember or how much it has helped me in life,” Goers said.

In the past 37 years, Goers has had the opportunity to teach at Hanover Central, South Central, and La Porte High School. He has specifically taught Accounting, Business Law & Ethics, Record Keeping, Introduction to Business, Business Math, Computer Applications, Keyboarding, Physical Education, and Driver’s Education.

Goers does not only pride himself in teaching; however, as he also does an abundance of coaching baseball and basketball also. He spent years on the court and the field, impacting countless athletes.

“There are many co-workers and former coaches who have had a great impact on my education and coaching career. My parents who supported me in whatever I did. My wife and my two boys. They have made me a better teacher, coach, and person,” Goers said.

Goers will find retirement to be a welcomed change of pace after a career packed with lessons, practices, and games. He plans to find time to do all of the fun activities he had to put off, and he is excited to spend and a great deal of time as “Grandpa.”

It will not be easy to say goodbye to such a dedicated and fun-loving teacher. With a heavy heart, Slicers wish him the best on his future endeavors.