Saying goodbye to warm-hearted Wendel

At the close of this school year, Mrs. Wendel will be singing her final note.

Wendel, music teacher at Crichfield and Lincoln, has been an educator in the corporation for 43 years, and her retirement will leave a void that will be hard to fill.

Wendel graduated Manchester College (now Manchester University) and received her Bachelor of Science there, which allows her to teach any music–choir, band or orchestra, K-12th grade. In 1981, she received her Masters Degree from Valparaiso University.

Wendel has been the music teacher for just about every school in the LaPorte Community School Corporation. She started teaching though at South Bend St. Joseph before moving to LaPorte schools in 1976. Then she taught Kingsford Heights, Mill Creek (Indian Trail), Riley and Hailmann.

“Mrs. Wendel brings a wonderful enthusiasm to her music classes. The children enjoy music class, and that is because of Mrs. Wendel. She will be missed!” Mrs. Szynal, Lincoln principal, said.

She always directs elaborate plays that allow students to show off their skills.

“At Kingsford Heights when we had the Special Education kids play bells and drums with another class singing. I had a parent come up to me in tears saying how happy it made her seeing her child in a program. I always tried to give everyone a chance to participate,” Wendel said.

Teaching has always been a passion of Wendel’s, and the last 43 years has shown that. She kept promises to students and always thought of her students as her very own kids. She knows that love is the key to creating a classroom where kids can flourish.

“Only go into teaching of you really love kids, otherwise it will just be a job instead of an adventure, “ Wendel said.

Wendel wishes the best to future teachers and will miss watching the children grow and blossom.

“I have truly enjoyed my years of teaching and I will always remember my fellow teachers and students. And I want to thank everyone who shared their life with me and I hope for your continued success in the years to come,” Wendel said.

LPCSC thanks Wendel for her decades of dedication to her students.