Senior Goodbye: McKenzie Jacobs

As I’m coming upon the end of my last year at La Porte High School, I’ve learned a few things that I think would be beneficial to share. Here is some of my advice for the freshmen now, or the future freshmen of 2018. These are three things that I came to learn before my last year of high school.

1. Please take school seriously. I have honestly lost count of how many times I’ve regretted blowing off assignments or certain classes. Trust me, I understand how draining school can be with test after test, and you’re allowed to take a couple days off once in awhile to destress, but don’t let that couple of days turn into more than that. Your mental health is so much more important than school.
  2. Look around at your friend group. No, seriously, take a couple minutes to really look around and engrave all of those friends into your memories. More than likely, chances are that your friend group will dwindle down, and then maybe get a few more additions because there’s no way to know exactly what the future holds. Be there for them when they need you. Sometimes they will need advice, but sometimes they just need someone to listen to them. Observe how many students in your graduation class seem to disappear for all sorts of different reasons. Try to keep in touch, but come to terms with the fact that people grow up and then apart, and sometimes there’s nothing that you could have done to change that.
  3. Just take it all in. I know it’s very cliche, and you’ve heard it so many times that “you’re going to miss this,” or high school is “the best four years of your life,” and while I don’t exactly agree with the second one (because if this is the best four years of my life, I’m really not excited for how downhill the rest of my life will be), high school is still an important part of your life. Join clubs, attend home football games and other sporting events, or sign up for a class that you don’t think you’ll be good at. Just take chances. To be completely honest, I didn’t exactly apply to be in newspaper. I turned in my application for creative writing, and Miss Parker randomly accepted me in here. Sometimes, you’ll come across people who see your potential even though you don’t, or who believe in you even if you don’t. If you happen to, just trust them.

The fact that I only have a few more days of high school hasn’t hit me yet, but I can’t promise that I won’t cry when it does. Goodbye, LPHS.