Lincoln hosts Popsicles on the Playground

1,399 Views

Lincoln Elementary’s playground was filled with smiling faces and cool treats as the Lions hosted its first annual Popsicles on the Playground event Thursday night.

In a joint effort from the PTA and Title I Reading teacher Laura Wells, Popsicles on the Playground had just about everything students could want. There was a literacy sidewalk chalk station, bubbles, a table full of books students could choose from to take home, access to the Lincoln playground, and a popsicle to top it off.

“Teachers saw the idea for this type of event from other schools. We thought it was a great way to bring families and teachers together early,” Jessica Griffin, third year PTA president, said.

Wells, Title I teacher, was most excited about the chance for students to visit the table full of books that were available to take home. Throughout the event, kids were stopping by to find something that fit their interest.  As a reading teacher, Wells could not be happier seeing the students leave with a new book in hand.

This is the first year for new principal Tearsa Schable who was delighted to have a chance to bring everyone together outside of school hours to be able to have time to talk, play, and laugh. With only a few weeks into the school year, Schable and staff had time to enjoy the summer evening catching up with past students and getting to know the families of new ones better.

“This is the first time we tried this event, and we are thrilled with the turnout, and we couldn’t have asked for better weather,” Schable said.

If Popsicles on the Playground is any indication, this is sure to be a great year for the Lincoln Lions.