LPHS adds Comfort Closet

LPHS adds Comfort Closet

After much hard work from a group of Slicer educators, LPHS students are going to be feeling the benefits of some extra love with the addition of the Comfort Closet.

The Comfort Closet, located on the VLA side of B.11, is a place where Slicer students can go to get basic supplies–free of charge–that are crucial to proper health and hygiene. Items include shampoo, conditioner, soap, face wash, lotion, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, pads, tampons, toilet paper, and more.

After finding the idea on social media and seeing the need at LPHS, Slicer educators Caryn Schmidt, Kate Steinhuble, Amy Jackson, Jessica Aguilar, and Kate Henderson applied for a La Porte Education Foundation mini grant and were awarded $500 for the project.

The Comfort Closet opened up last week and has already completed over 25 requests. Students in need can fill out a confidential form located on their Canvas SRT class, and orders will be filled that day. Teachers may fill out the same form for students as well.

The grant made the closet possible, but the donation and support of others will keep the project going. If people are interested in helping keep the Comfort Closet filled with necessities, contact Amy Jackson at [email protected] or Caryn Schmidt at [email protected].

“So many wonderful people have already donated money and supplies. We would love to keep the donations coming so the closet can be self sustaining,” Steinhuble said.